Did you ever hear the phrase, publicly praise? We need to do more of that for each other as women and friends! We all work so hard and demand so much of ourselves, but we accomplish so much everyday without appreciating ourselves. We all wear so many hats and forget that something as simple as remembering a friend’s birthday, or checking in on the health of a loved one, or keeping our kids alive and well are all things we should celebrate.
By taking a few moments throughout the day to recognize that YOU are enough and YOU are doing everything you can, you set yourself up for continued success. And by taking the opportunity to support and celebrate other women around you, who are pushing just as hard to get everything done, you can ensure that they’re getting the outside help and encouragement that they might not ask for but that they probably need.
I am an overachiever and I often find myself going through an internal battle wondering, if I’ve done enough, have I given enough, am I enough? I find myself answering “no” to these questions when, in reality, I should be celebrating the little successes throughout the day. I mean, I did remember to feed the dog, didn’t I? I even started a load of laundry (no, it hasn’t made it into the dryer, but I started it! WIN!). The fact that my kids made it to school with shoes on their feet (yes, there have been days where that hasn’t happened) means I’ve already done something right. I should feel proud of myself for encouraging a friend who is struggling. WE should lift each other up. WE should lift ourselves up and recognize where we are succeeding.
Take a minute today to praise yourself or another woman you know by:
- Looking in the mirror and telling yourself you are amazing and remind yourself of the long to-do list you get through every.single. day.
- Turn negative thoughts into opportunities for positivity. Instead of saying “it’s too hard” tell yourself “it’s tough now but it will all be worth it when I’ve achieved my goals.”
- Ask for support. I guarantee that if you were to ask for support from the women, or anyone around you, that you’ll be surprised by the level of encouragement that you’ll get. It’s easy for us to get wrapped up in what’s going on in our day to day lives but good friends and families will jump at the chance to lend a hand and pick you up when you need some words of encouragement or advice.
- Check-in and offer help when no one has asked. For those women in our lives who haven’t gotten to #3 to ask for support, try offering it without being prompted. Check-in with a friend you know is working on a big project at work, a friend who is going back to school or is having family problems. Encouraging those women and reminding them that they’re amazing will not only strengthen your relationships and make them feel better, it will make YOU feel better too.
- Publicly Praise. We have all rolled our eyes at the person who has to share every single workout on Facebook. But, sometimes just raising your (digital) hand and saying “hey look, I did this!” can help you to feel empowered and better yet, you publicly supporting another woman helps her feel supported and successful as well!
Today, I encourage YOU, to whisper kindness to yourself and other women in your life. Then SHOUT from the rooftops if you’d like that you are SUCCESSFUL and you MATTER.